Sunday, November 23, 2008

All Aboard

I rode the subway on Friday. Big Deal right? Yeah well this was my first solo trip in thirty years. I know it is silly, but it has always intimidated me. With all of the grumpy people pushing to get onto the platform and the numerous tracks and trains to choose from - I was very nervous.

What if I got on the wrong train, took it completely out of the way and then showed up a half hour late for my meeting? But I had no choice, after doing the calculations, I knew I would never make it in time I if I tried to walk it - plus it felt about 40 below outside.

Now while it was a breeze (I asked three people what train to take and then on the train asked two more people where I need to get off)I held my breath the entire time and not because of the smell.

As the train came to a stop I thought(besides please, please don't let anyone push me into that gap)- I TRIED SOMETHING NEW!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The reputation of the subway system is far worse than the reality, but I haven't used the outer borough subway stops except for Shea Station. People are usually pretty friendly and helpful on the train.